Schedule an appointment
Online appointments available in FL and NC
103 West Weaver St. Carrboro, NC 27510
300 West Earp St. Holly Springs, NC 27540
Melissa understands that each individual is unique and caters her sessions to each client. She utilizes interventions from cognitive- behavioral therapy, mindfulness based-therapies and psychodynamic therapy.
Motivation Enhancement & Change Maintenance
Motivational Interviewing is an evidenced-based intervention utilized to enhance motivation to engage in healthy behaviors. Change maintenance is utilized to increase success in maintaining lasting change to patterns of behavior such as, but not limited to, addictive behaviors. It focuses on speaking, writing and visualizing the desired change.
- Identify personal motivators and reservations related to changing the behavior or situation.
- Identify personal barriers and challenges related to creating desired change and identify triggers for returning to the behavior/situation.
- Create a change maintenance plan and receive support following it.
Coaching is a Solution focused intervention that may be used alone or in combination with other interventions.
Coaching is helpful when attempting to reach a particular goal such as change careers, lose wieght or maintain sobriety.
- Identify intrinsic values & set personal goals.
- Receive encouragement, constantly motivating you in the direction of your goals.
- Achieve a greater sense of direction and new skills sets.
This intervention, similar to body psychotherapy, involves awareness of the body. Emotions are experienced in the body, therefore awareness of the body is helpful in the healing process. Furthermore, mindfulness is facilitated by grounding exercises, progressive relaxation and engaging in focused movements based on the Pilates Method.
- Get out of your mind and into your body; Increase interoceptive and body awareness.
- Improve mood, concentration, emotional regulation and behavioral regulation.
- Enhance empathy, self-compassion & self-reflection.
- Reduce stress and anxiety.
- Prevent burnout and compassion fatigue.
This intervention emphasizes the power if bringing into consciousness greater awareness of self via insight and self-exploration. The impact of this work is powerful in creating lasting change.
- Increase insight related to patterns of thought and behavior.
- Neutralize your "story." Minimizing, avoiding or getting stuck in your story gives it too much power.
- Receive support and guidance to let go of limitations and patterns that no longer serve you.
"Begin a journey of self-exploration, self-empowerment and personal growth. It is not helpful to judge any individual or situation as 'bad.' Symptoms like stress, pain, anxiety, depression and anger can be opportunities to grow into better versions of ourselves. Individual therapy is currently available in Carrboro, Chapel Hill and Holly Springs, North Carolina. Online therapy is also available. "
Cognitive Therapy &
Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
These are types of psychotherapy which emphasize the power of an individual's thoughts, perspective and attention on thier life experience.
- Understand how your internal reality is mirrored in your external reality.
- Take time to talk about and process your thoughts with a professional and gain new perspective.
- Allow therapist feedback and utilization of new skills to give a new perspective.